[lg policy] Job offer: Education Policy Intern- Dual Language Learner National Work Group (Paid)

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 14:53:56 UTC 2016

*Education Policy Intern- Dual Language Learner National Work Group (Paid)
<https://www.newamerica.org/jobs> New America <https://www.newamerica.org>
Job Code: *B24499
*Location:* USA – Washington, DC

* Description - *

New America’s Education Policy Program seeks applicants who have a strong
interest in dual language learner (DLL) education policy for a paid Summer
2016 internship. The interns will primarily assist the program’s full-time
staff members with research, data, and policy analysis for issue briefs and
policy reports, in addition to writing blogs for the program’s website,
EdCentral. Interns must be self-starters who are excited to work both
independently and as part of a team on a variety of education-related
research projects.

New America’s Education Policy Program is a think-tank industry leader in
dual language learner education. In addition to conducting research and
analysis in these areas, interns will have the opportunity to publish their
own blog posts and other work, attend events on behalf of New America, and
gain exposure to some of the brightest and most ambitious thinkers in the
field. They will also have the opportunity to attend in-house events,
professional development, and off-the-record policy lunches with fellows
and staff from other New America policy programs.

This intern will work closely with our Dual Language Learner National Work
Group, which focuses on policies impacting children from birth through
third grade who are learning English in addition to their home language.
Policy expertise in this area is strongly preferred.

*Responsibilities:*

   - Work approximately 30-40 hours per week in our downtown D.C. office
   - Conduct research and analysis on DLL education policy issues
   - Write for the Education Policy Program’s blog, EdCentral
   - Help expand the content on our new digital data platform, Atlas
   - Assist with planning and staffing New America Education Policy Program
   events
   - Attend events and Congressional hearings on behalf of the education
   program
   - Perform some administrative work supporting New America projects

*Qualifications:*

   - Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of education policy; knowledge
   of early ed/dual language learner policy strongly preferred. Because of the
   content knowledge necessary for this position, a graduate student or
   experienced undergraduate student is preferred.
   - Excellent writing and communications skills. Previous blogging
   experience or writing for a public audience a plus.
   - Passion for education and equity issues.
   - Intellectual curiosity, motivation, and a desire to learn on-the-job.
   Must be a self-starter and have the ability to work independently and with
   a team.
   - Strong qualitative and quantitative research abilities.

*Application Process:*

Please submit a cover letter depicting your experience, current resume and
a brief (no more than three 3 pages) writing sample.  Applications are
reviewed on a rolling basis, so early submissions (by Friday, March 18) are
recommended.

New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse
workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that
allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities.
We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to
create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and
drive outstanding results.

All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual
orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression,
or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy
applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring,
transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and
termination.

*To Apply Apply online *here https://www.newamerica.org/jobs
*Visit us *here https://www.newamerica.org

* Posted on 29 March 2016 Please mention Policy Jobs when applying for this
position*