[lg policy] Online English tutors needed

Anna Farrell farre223 at umn.edu
Sun Aug 27 17:43:28 UTC 2017

Paper Airplanes is looking for English tutors and tutor coordinators for
the fall term (Sept. 24-Dec. 16, 2017). Paper Airplanes provides free,
one-on-one virtual language and skills instruction to people affected by
conflict. Our goal is to help our students learn critical languages and
marketable skills for their pursuit of higher education and employment.

Tutors will be matched with a Syrian or other individual affected by
conflict, assisting them using our guided curriculum. No prior tutoring
experience or Arabic language skills required, although both are
appreciated. The time commitment is approximately 2 hours per week, which
includes prep time. You will meet with your student once per week for a 1.5
hour session. We provide the curriculum, but you will need to do some basic
lesson planning to match the curriculum to your student's needs. The
priority deadline for signing up is Saturday, September 9th. as training
will begin online on Sept. 10th. Applications received after that will be
reviewed on a rolling basis. https://goo.gl/forms/tifHsUvvueJs32783
<https://goo.gl/forms/tifHsUvvueJs32783>

Tutor coordinators are responsible for mentoring current tutors in the
English program, including cultivating relationships between tutors;
overseeing pairs; monitoring sessions; and managing check-ins. This is a
volunteer position with an expected time commitment of 5-8 hours per week.
Ideal candidates are current college or graduate students looking to gain
supervisory and training experience. The priority deadline for signing up
is August 31st, applications received after that will be reviewed on a
rolling basis. https://goo.gl/forms/bQyH6RpNVVuMj0K43
<https://goo.gl/forms/bQyH6RpNVVuMj0K43>

Please share this call with your colleagues, students, friends, and family.
Questions can be sent to Dr. Anna Farrell, Paper Airplanes Director of
Programming, at anna AT paper-airplanes DOT org <anna at paper-airplanes.org>

--
Anna M. Farrell, PhD
Comparative and International Development Education