[lg policy] Fwd: [Linganth] Educational Film on Revitalizing Indigenous Languages

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Fri May 19 14:48:51 UTC 2017

Forwarded From: Brian McDermott <brianfmcdermott at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, May 18, 2017 at 11:40 AM
Subject: [Linganth] Educational Film on Revitalizing Indigenous Languages

*Heenetiineyoo3eihiiho' *(Language Healers) our 41-minute documentary that
tells the story of Native Americans who are striving to revitalize their
languages, is now on sale for the next two weeks for $99 (for the
Educational DVD). To receive an invoice for the Educational DVD sale price,
please respond directly to this email.

In the film, we learn about the importance of Native languages and cultures
in Alaska from a Yup’ik dog musher and a Tlingit carver of wood and metal.
The film then takes us to a school in Wisconsin where we hear the story of
a seventh grade girl who was recently punished for speaking a few words of
the Menominee language. We learn more about the fight against language loss
through visiting a Euchee (Yuchi) immersion school in Oklahoma where only
four fluent elder speakers remain. We also meet National Geographic Fellow
and Swarthmore College linguistics professor K. David Harrison who
introduces us to his innovative online talking dictionaries project for
Indigenous languages. Finally, we travel to Montana where an inventive
Arapaho professor, Neyooxet Greymorning, has been perfecting a method to
quickly save Native languages.

Go to:

*http://www.empathyworksfilms.com/* <http://www.empathyworksfilms.com/>

and scroll to the bottom of the page to see a trailer and for more details.

Available formats include a closed-captioned DVD with Free, Perpetual Video
Hosting/Streaming, closed-captioned DVD-only, or a downloadable MP4 Master
File for use on university servers or streaming providers like Kanopy.
Visit the link above for more details.

*Language Healers *was selected to screen at: the 10th Aljazeera
International Documentary Film Festival as well as many other festivals,
events and symposiums including: the 2016 Bellingham Human Rights Film
Festival; the 2016 Red Nation Film Festival; the 2016 Maoriland Film
Festival; 2014 World Indigenous Film Festival; the 11th Native American
Symposium at Southeastern Oklahoma State University; the 2015 Stabilizing
Indigenous Language Symposium in Riverton, Wyoming; the 130th MLA
Convention held in Vancouver in January 2015; the Stabilizing Indigenous
Languages Symposium at the University of Hawaii, Hilo; and played at the
University of Wisconsin—Madison for International Mother Language Day. The
movie was also mentioned in the Huffington Post
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alissa-stern/technology-to-the-endange_b_6225900.html>
 as one of the films helping to empower individuals to take action to
rescue endangered languages and was voted by Intercontinental Cry Magazine
as one of the “ten films you need to watch on International Day of the
World's Indigenous Peoples.”

Since becoming available, over 100 university libraries have ordered *Language
Healers.*

Thank you,

Brian McDermott, MFA, MSW
EmpathyWorks Films