[lg policy] India: No backing out of 3-language norm: Mamata

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Mon May 29 14:38:36 UTC 2017

No backing out of 3-language norm: MamataTNN | May 28, 2017, 05.41 AM IST
[image: State Congress chief Adhir Chowdhury participates in a rally
protesting against ‘deteriorating law and order’ in the state on Saturday,
the day the Mamata Banerjee government marked the first anniversary of its
second term. (Photo: Sayan Chakraborty)]State Congress chief Adhir
Chowdhury participates in a rally protesting against ‘deteriorating law and
order’ ... Read More
HOWRAH: The Mamata Banerjee government
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Mamata-Banerjee-government> isn't
going to back out on making Bengali compulsory
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Bengali-compulsory> in schools.
On Saturday, the chief minister insisted that students with English or
Hindi and even Nepali <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Nepali>
(for Hills students) as first language should have Bengali as a compulsory
paper. Banerjee, however, didn't specify from which class the government
wants to introduce the three-language policy.

"Those with Hindi or Nepali as first language should continue to do so. But
won't they study Bengali as a third language?" the CM said at Nabanna on
Saturday, when her government completed one year in her second innings of
governance beginning May 2016. Sensing that the proposal may fuel the
identity debate in the Hills, she said: "I won't impose anything if
children in the Hills do not study Bengali, but won't they learn the
language of a place where we stay together?" The CM's announcement comes
three days ahead of her meeting with private school representatives on
Wednesday, in which she is likely to broach the issue.

"Bengal respects all languages and languages of all states. Our
three-language formula shows how we really do... India is a vast country
and the strength of our nation is unity in diversity. We must respect every
mother tongue and also give every regional language its importance. We
believe in the freedom of choice and the three language formula," Banerjee
had posted on Facebook a few days ago.

"Students have the freedom to take any language of their choice as a first,
second or third language. If the student choses Bengali, Hindi, English,
Urdu, Gurmukhi, Nepali, Alchiki as first language, he/she may opt for two
other languages of their choice. One of the three languages has to be
Bengali," she added.
Top CommentHence I request you saying that you too and students having
first language as Bengali have to take Nepali as their third language.
This makes equal right.
Even Nepali language should be made ... Read MoreBivek Pradhan

Banerjee chose to celebrate her government's anniversary with a massive
blood donation programme organised by government employees. "As a humble
contribution on the occasion of the Trinamool government's six-year
completion, government employees have come forward meet the shortage of
blood in blood banks. We have already collected 16,000 units of blood from
the police force, who have conducted a blood donation programme, and
another 50,000 units of blood will be donated from our government staff
very soon. Blood saves life and blood is life. My appeal is not to shed
blood by beating up the police, but help to donate blood," the chief
minister said, indirectly hinting at the Left's Nabanna march on Monday and
the BJP's Lalbazar march on Thursday. Over 90 policemen were injured in the
two marches.

Banerjee ferretted out a long list of statistics to highlight the
government's achievements over the last six years, saying the state's GDP
had more than doubled in the last six years since the Trinamool assumed
power. The CM flagged off 53 air-conditioned ambulances given by MPs to
serve people, particularly in rural areas

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata/no-backing-out-of-3-language-norm-mamata/articleshow/58876532.cms?TOI_browsernotification=true