[lg policy] Senior Jewish leader: Qatar must choose between US and allies or Iran

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 19:06:07 UTC 2018

 Senior Jewish leader: Qatar must choose between US and allies or Iran
Qatar should not continue a double language policy which is ineffective in
hiding its support for terrorism. (Courtesy of: The Israel Forever
Foundation)
Staff writer, Al Arabiya English Wednesday, 11 April 2018
Text size A A A

A senior Jewish leader said that US officials will most likely discuss with
Qatar’s Emir Tamim bin Hamad his country’s policy in using “double
language” with several Arab and international players.

Ron Halber, executive director of the Jewish Community Relations Council,
said it was certain that Tamim’s meeting with Trump, which occurred on
Tuesday, took place under unfavorable circumstances for the emir.

Speaking to Al Arabiya English, Halber said: “It is time for Qatar to
understand that there is no longer any hope for it except to line up with
the United States and its allies. It should not continue a double language
policy which is ineffective in hiding its support for terrorism.

“Terrorist organizations wouldn’t have been able to continue their
operations without the support they received from Qatar – operations which
are destabilizing the Middle East and target Israel,” said Halber.

“I believe that while the international community was on the way to
resolving the Middle East peace process, Qatar, as usual, supported Hamas
which only made matters worse than they were,” he added.

“As long as Hamas refuses to hand over the bodies of the two Israeli
soldiers, Iran will never be able to help the Jews recover them. However,
Qatar can, so why doesn’t it?”

He said that the “new American administration, after appointing a new
foreign minister and national security adviser, is breaking a policy of
silence towards Qatar. At this stage, the Emir of Qatar must decide whether
he wants to become a true ally of the United States and Israel or continue
to support terrorism.”

He added: “Logically, he will not be able to do both at the same time,
because we are tired of just talking while Qatar chooses to implement
completely unhelpful policies. I call on President Trump and the White
House to force Qatar to sever its ties with Hamas and all militant
organizations.

“I also call on the people of the Middle East, whatever their religion, to
stand in the face of terrorism and its supporters.”

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com