[lg policy] India: Kannada makes an entry at IIMB on flexes and banners

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 16:04:11 UTC 2018

 Kannada makes an entry at IIMB on flexes and banners

By Express News Service  |   Published: 03rd February 2018 02:57 AM  |

Last Updated: 03rd February 2018 05:57 AM  |   A+A A-   |

BENGALURU: Kannada language has now found space in the campus of Indian
Institute of Management Bengaluru (IIMB). Following the recent
communication from the Union Ministry for Human Resource Development (MHRD)
directing the institute to implement three language policy on signboards,
banners and standees outside buildings, IIMB has adopted Kannada as its
local language.

One can now see flexes, banners and signboards written in Kannada in IIMB
campus. “In October 2017, we received a communication from the MHRD and,
following the same, we have implemented Kannada along with English and
Hindi outside the building during events or any other activity,” a source
from IIMB said.

However, the copy of the communication circulated within the campus which
is available with  Express reads, “Based on the notification of Government
of India on use of languages on sign boards, banners and standees, it has
been decided  that we will follow undermentioned policies in our campus.

1.  Sign boards, banners and standees outside the buildings in three
languages, that is Kannada, Hindi and English in that order.

2. Sign boards, Banners and Standees inside buildings in two languages that
is Hindi and English in that order.”

Meanwhile, every event organiser, student and staff member has been asked
to follow this policy at every event including the Foundation Day and
Convocation, say sources.

Displeasure over Hindi certificate
A discussion which is going on in the campus to isue graduate  certificates
even in Hindi has received opposition from a section of  students enrolled
into post-graduate programmes at the campus. Following the displeasure
expressed by students, IIMB issued a statement saying, “”The Institute is
actively undertaking discussions in this regard. We are happy to have
received various views and opinions, some of which are not in favour.  The
Institute wishes to reiterate the assurance  given to all internal
stakeholders, including the students, that there  will be no imposition and
any concern shall be promptly addressed  internally. There are no protests
and we shall internally reach out to  anyone who has a concern.”

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com