[lg policy] Political deadlock in Northern Ireland

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 19:30:22 UTC 2018

 Political deadlock in Northern Ireland
Fri, Feb 16, 2018, 00:08
<https://www.irishtimes.com/cmlink/irish-times-letters-1.1364619>

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email App

Sir, – What puzzles me is why the Taoiseach cancelled a planned visit with
the First Minister of Wales Carwyn Jones, scheduled for Monday in Dublin,
rather than invite him to attend informally in Belfast, where his silent
presence might have signalled the amicable relations between ourselves and
our British neighbours; and, who knows, he might even have had a chance to
whisper into the paranoid ears of backbenchers that not speaking English
exclusively had no negative effect on his Welsh countrymen’s British
identity.

Mr Jones is on record as wanting a soft border between Wales and the
Republic, post-Brexit. It appears, as I suspected when first hearing of the
cancellation, to have been another missed opportunity to apply a nanogram
of political imagination to this constipated “debate”.

One thing is for sure, the whole fiasco indicates that when it comes to
begrudgery, the DUP are surely “more Irish than the Irish themselves”. –
Yours, etc,

D FLINTER,

Headford,

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com