[lg policy] To promote Gujarati, CM Vijay Rupani calls for a language policy

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 16:03:28 UTC 2018

To promote Gujarati, CM Vijay Rupani calls for a language policy [image:
VIJAY_RUPANI_AT_INAUGURATION_OF_5TH_EDITION_GUJARAT_LITERATURE_FESTIVAL] *
VIJAY_RUPANI_AT_INAUGURATION_OF_5TH_EDITION_GUJARAT_LITERATURE_FESTIVAL *
Chief Minister Vijay Rupani with other eminent members at the show
Share

   -
   -
   -
   -

Written By
<http://www.dnaindia.com/authors/dna-correspondent-2> dna Correspondent
<http://www.dnaindia.com/authors/dna-correspondent-2>
Friday 5 January 2018 6:30 IST

The 5th Gujarat Literature Festival (GLF) was inaugurated on Thursday by
Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani at the Gujarat University Senate Hall,
to celebrate three days of seamless literary tête-à-tête. Also, Mrs Amruta
Fadnavis, popular Gujarati author Kajal Oza Vaidya, Samkit Shah, Festival
Producer, GLF, Shyam Parekh, Festival Director, GLF, Padmashree Vishnu
Pandya, Head Gujarat Sahitya Academy, Himanshu Pandya, Vice Chancellor
Gujarat University were among the several guests of honour.

CM Rupani congratulated team GLF for its consistent efforts to promote
Gujarati language and literature among the young and old alike over the
last five years. He said his government was considering making Gujarati a
compulsory language.

“I believe that with the help of GLF, Gujarati language will restore its
former glory in the coming years. We will all walk hand-in-hand towards
this goal. Yes, students are failing in Gujarati. They are going away from
the languages.

Gujarati medium schools are shutting down. It’s important to frame policies
to promote language. In the coming days, we will work towards promoting
Gujarati language. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had initiated “vaanche
Gujarat” to promote literature. We wish to continue the same. Books have
become integral in today’s life. We want to get associated with people who
are working towards promoting literature,” Rupani said.

The evening also saw the first GLF Awards, incorporated as an annual drill
to recognize accomplishments of writers across genres and print and a
number of workshops to hone the art of storytelling. Mrs Fadnavis referred
to the film — Dead Poets Society — where actor Robin Williams taught his
students using poetry as a medium.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com