[lg policy] High Court sets aside GP Edu Dept instruction in Afrikaans school case

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 15:13:18 UTC 2018

 High Court sets aside GP Edu Dept instruction in Afrikaans school case

Judge Bill Prinsloo has found that the department did not have the
authority to unilaterally override the school’s language policy and that it
failed to assess the school’s capacity to accommodate the pupils.
[image: Picture: Supplied]
Picture: Supplied

   - Gauteng Education Department
   <http://ewn.co.za/Topic/Gauteng-Education-Department>
   - Hoerskool Overvaal <http://ewn.co.za/Topic/Hoerskool-Overvaal>

   - Email
   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/15/high-court-sets-aside-gp-education-dept-instruction-in-afrikaans-school-case>
   - Print
   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/15/high-court-sets-aside-gp-education-dept-instruction-in-afrikaans-school-case#>
   -
   -

   -

Barry Bateman <http://ewn.co.za/Contributors/barry-bateman> | 39 minutes ago

PRETORIA - The High Court has set aside the Gauteng Education Department’s
instruction to Höerskool Overvaal
<http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/13/gde-adamant-that-hoerskool-overvaal-has-space-for-more-pupils>,
forcing it to admit 55 English speaking pupils.

Judge Bill Prinsloo has found that the department did not have the
authority to unilaterally override the school’s language policy and that it
failed to assess the school’s capacity to accommodate the pupils.

The school governing body argued that it did not have the capacity to
accommodate the children, while the department claimed the school was using
language as a barrier to entry.

Prinsloo says the weight of the evidence demonstrates that Höerskool
Overvaal does not have the capacity to admit the 55 English speaking pupils
and that the education department did not have regard for the capacity of
the school compared to neighbouring schools.

He says had the department made any effort, they would have discovered an
abundance of capacity at two neighbouring English schools.

The judge also referred to regulations which state that it is for a school
governing body to determine admission and language policy.
Timeline

   - [image: FILE: Gauteng MEC for Education Panyaza Lesufi. Picture:
   Sethembiso Zulu/EWN]
   Gauteng Education Dept working on school ranking system
   about 9 hours ago

   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/15/gauteng-education-dept-working-on-school-ranking-system>
   - [image: Picture: freeimages.com]
   GDE adamant that Hoerskool Overvaal has space for more pupils
   2 days ago

   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/13/gde-adamant-that-hoerskool-overvaal-has-space-for-more-pupils>
   - [image: FILE: Picture: Pixabay.]
   'Hoerskool Overvaal must adapt to changing demographics'
   3 days ago

   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/12/hoerskool-overvaal-must-adapt-to-changing-demographics>
   - [image: Classroom. Picture: stock.xchng.]
   Gauteng Education Dept: Language, capacity can't stop school admissions
   3 days ago

   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/12/gauteng-education-dept-language-capacity-can-t-stop-school-admissions>

Recommended by NEWSROOM AI <http://www.nws.ai/>
[image: Black model in Dove ad: I would've (un)happily walked right off set
had I known]
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/11/i-would-have-un-happily-walked-right-off-set-had-i-known-black-model-in-controversial-dove-ad>
Black model in Dove ad: I would've (un)happily walked right off set had I
known
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/11/i-would-have-un-happily-walked-right-off-set-had-i-known-black-model-in-controversial-dove-ad>
ewn.co.za
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/11/i-would-have-un-happily-walked-right-off-set-had-i-known-black-model-in-controversial-dove-ad>
[image: 'Jacob Zuma has 3 months left, at most, as President of South
Africa']
<http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/10/jacob-zuma-has-3-months-left-at-most-as-president-of-south-africa>
'Jacob Zuma has 3 months left, at most, as President of South Africa'
<http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/10/jacob-zuma-has-3-months-left-at-most-as-president-of-south-africa>
ewn.co.za
<http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/10/jacob-zuma-has-3-months-left-at-most-as-president-of-south-africa>
[image: Shoprite assault: Gauteng MEC hopes guards receive harsh jail term]
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/10/shoprite-assault-gauteng-mec-hopes-guards-receive-harsh-jail-term>
Shoprite assault: Gauteng MEC hopes guards receive harsh jail term
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/10/shoprite-assault-gauteng-mec-hopes-guards-receive-harsh-jail-term>
ewn.co.za
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/10/shoprite-assault-gauteng-mec-hopes-guards-receive-harsh-jail-term>
[image: Parliament's security boss Zelda Holtzman fired]
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/11/parliament-s-security-boss-zelda-holtzman-fired>
Parliament's security boss Zelda Holtzman fired
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/11/parliament-s-security-boss-zelda-holtzman-fired>
ewn.co.za
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/11/parliament-s-security-boss-zelda-holtzman-fired>
[image: [FACT CHECK] Are most same-sex marriages in SA by Afrikaans
speakers?]
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/10/fact-check-are-most-same-sex-marriages-in-sa-by-afrikaans-speakers>
[FACT CHECK] Are most same-sex marriages in SA by Afrikaans speakers?
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/10/fact-check-are-most-same-sex-marriages-in-sa-by-afrikaans-speakers>
ewn.co.za
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/10/fact-check-are-most-same-sex-marriages-in-sa-by-afrikaans-speakers>
[image: It’s official, Dlamini-Zuma assigned duties in Parliament]
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/09/it-s-official-dlamini-zuma-assigned-duties-in-parliament>
It’s official, Dlamini-Zuma assigned duties in Parliament
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/09/it-s-official-dlamini-zuma-assigned-duties-in-parliament>
ewn.co.za
<http://ewn.co.za/2017/10/09/it-s-official-dlamini-zuma-assigned-duties-in-parliament>
More in Local <http://ewn.co.za/Categories/Local>

   - [image: FILE: Janusz Walus at a hearing in the Pretoria City Hall on
   11 August 1997. Picture: AFP]
   Justice Dept plans to oppose Hani killer's latest parole application
   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/15/justice-dept-plans-to-oppose-walus-latest-parole-application>
   14 minutes ago
   - [image: EFF members protest in H&M store at Mall of the SOuth against
   racist advert. Picture: EFF.]
   [WATCH] EFF members protest at H&M Mall of Africa
   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/15/reports-of-protest-action-at-mall-of-africa-h-and-m>
   about an hour ago
   - [image: Achmat Ebrahim. Picture: City of Cape Town]
   CT city manager 'confident he can disprove misconduct allegations
   against him'
   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/15/de-lille-ebrahim-says-he-can-disprove-misconduct-allegations-against-him>
   about an hour ago
   - [image: Picture: SAPS.]
   Security guard accused of farm worker’s murder granted bail
   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/15/security-guard-accused-of-farm-worker-s-murder-granted-bail>
   about an hour ago
   - [image: Buti Manamela. Picture: GCIS.]
   Manamela keeps close eye on Capricorn TVET college after stampede
   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/15/manamela-says-keeping-a-close-eye-on-capricorn-tvet-college-after-stampede>
   about 2 hours ago
   - [image: Cape Town Mayor Patricia De Lille during a visit to the
   Wemmershoek Dam on 15 November 2017. Picture: @PatriciaDeLille/Twitter]
   Concerns as Cape Town’s dam levels continue to drop
   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/15/concerns-as-cape-town-s-dam-levels-continue-to-drop>
   about 2 hours ago

Comments

EWN welcomes all comments that are constructive, contribute to discussions
in a meaningful manner and take stories forward.

However, we will NOT condone the following:

- Racism (including offensive comments based on ethnicity and nationality)
- Sexism
- Homophobia
- Religious intolerance
- Cyber bullying
- Hate speech
- Derogatory language
- Comments inciting violence.

We ask that your comments remain relevant to the articles they appear on
and do not include general banter or conversation as this dilutes the
effectiveness of the comments section.

We strive to make the EWN community a safe and welcoming space for all.

EWN reserves the right to: 1) remove any comments that do not follow the
above guidelines; and, 2) ban users who repeatedly infringe the rules.

Should you find any comments upsetting or offensive you can also flag them
and we will assess it against our guidelines.

EWN is constantly reviewing its comments policy in order to create an
environment conducive to constructive conversations.
On Air
------------------------------
Latest bulletin
GAUTENG
Latest traffic report
CAPE TOWN
People also read

[image: Terry Mango and son Liam Mango, who was featured in an H&M advert
that has sparked outrage and anger. Picture: Facebook, H&M]
<http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/14/mother-of-boy-in-h-and-m-ad-faces-racial-abuse>

   1. Mother of boy in H&M ad faces racial abuse
   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/14/mother-of-boy-in-h-and-m-ad-faces-racial-abuse>
   2. Ramaphosa hints at early exit for Zuma
   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/15/ramaphosa-hints-at-early-exit-for-zuma>
   3. Chaos strikes Unisa campus in Pretoria
   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/15/chaos-strikes-unisa-campus-in-pretoria>
   4. Warnings of more heatwave conditions across SA
   <http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/15/weather-service-warns-of-more-heatwave-conditions-across-country>

Let the news come to you. Subscribe to our daily newsletter.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com