[lg policy] Back in the saddle again...

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 13:20:21 UTC 2018

All,

I want to start by apologiizing for the great silence on this list in
recent days.
While I was on vacation in the Pacific Northwest I fell and fractured my
elbow. My arm was in a stent and I couldn't even use the fingers of my
right hand.  Then a day after returning a piece of "scare-ware" overwhelmed
my computer and I couldn't send emails!  Today a member of Geek Squad
came and fixed things so we're back in business.

First of all I want to thank those who contributed messages while I was
gone.  I hope this will continue, which it probably will, given the stellar
record of those contributors in the past, even if one of them is legally
blind!

But I want to suggest some other issues that I think need to be looked at.
One is the role of maps of language.  We have a section devoted to maps
on the home page, but I haven't seen any contributions to that page on
this list in years.  I think the language maps ought to have a higher
priority,
given the fact that there are different viewpoints displayed in some maps
of the same language group, or the same geographic area.  The collection
we have on our home page is quite honestly a mess.

Another is the role of cartoons about language, especially non-standard
languages.  I have collected quite a few and put them on our home page.
I'll mention the role these played in a course I taught called "Language
and Popular Culture.

More later; in the mean time, let's keep sharing!

HS

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com