[lg policy] Sikhululekile Luwaca named 100 Young Mandelas of the future

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 13:28:54 UTC 2018

 Sikhululekile Luwaca named 100 Young Mandelas of the future
<https://yiba.co.za/sikhululekile-luwaca-named-100-young-mandelas-of-the-future/>

Achievers <https://yiba.co.za/category/achievers/>University of the Free
State
<https://yiba.co.za/category/universities/university-of-the-free-state/> July
17, 2018 News desk
<https://yiba.co.za/sikhululekile-luwaca-named-100-young-mandelas-of-the-future/>

News24.com announced the 100 Young Mandelas of the future. Among those
nominated was Sikhululekile Luwaca, a former president of the Student
Representative Council (SRC) at the University of the Free State (UFS).

“It is humbling. I embrace collective action and it would be unfair not to
appreciate all the great minds I have encountered over the years and had
the privilege to work with. Our individual progress can never be separated
from that of the community. It is no longer I that lives, but us, we,” said
Luwaca.

Six million readers nominated 1 000 South Africans from all walks of life
who could be considered Mandelas of the future. Luwaca emerged in the
Visionary category as one of the 100 who made the cut. The initiative was
inspired by what would have been Nelson Mandela’s 100th birthday on 18 July
2018. “News24 set out to honour 100 young South Africans who embody the
characteristics Mandela was best known for,” said a statement by News24.

While he was the SRC president, Luwaca’s office played a critical role in
raising R1.2 million for underprivileged students. He continues to make
major strides as the current chairperson of the UFS African National
Congress Youth League (ANCYL).

His social and political influence goes back to when a 13-year-old Luwaca
founded an association that sought to address school dropouts in rural
areas. In high school, the young philanthropist established an organisation
that collected and distributed food for needy elders of Cathcart township
in the Eastern Cape. For five years Luwaca served the Student Christian
Organisation as chairperson. In 2013, he co-founded the Ubuntu School
Project that donated 100 full school uniforms to Phomolong High School
learners in Tembisa.

Later on as a UFS student, Luwaca helped found the Hand2Hand Student
Association which drives fundraising initiatives, as well as the collection
of non-perishable food items and second-hand textbooks for disadvantaged
students. In 2015 he was elected a Residence Committee representative for
House Outeniqua and SRC: Dialogue and Association.

Luwaca was instrumental in facilitating a series of dialogues on
transformation such as the UFS language policy, Fees Must Fall movement and
the Shimla Park incident.

Supplied by University of the Free State <http://www.ufs.ac.za>

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com