[lg policy] more on innovations in lgpolicy-list

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 16:03:34 UTC 2018

All,

I got waylaid yesterday as I was trying to propose studying images such as
cartoons, language/dialect maps, and other sources.  I wanted to show that
we already have interesting resources to contemplate, such as the "Crocs"
cartoon that has interesting depictions of some animals (supposedly
crocodiles)
speak non-standard, perhaps "creole" while other animals speak "standard"
American.

For more on this go to page devoted to Crocs cartoon pages
<http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/popcult/zeebah.html> also known as *
Pearls Before Swine*. Notice that the male crocs speak "Crocese" but the
female crocs, and the young crocs, and all the other animals (Rat, Pig,
Goat, etc.)  speak 'standard' (American English. Those of you who are
interested in the depiction of
gender in contemporary language may find this interesting.

And as I mentioned yesterday, the use of maps to show the distribution of
languages and dialects is another gold mine that has not been studied
systematically.  And I admit, the maps pages I have saved on this list are
totally disorganized, and in need of solid work.

More later!

Best,

HS

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com