[lg policy] Afrikaans is forced on children in schools complain parents

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 14:39:20 UTC 2018

-
<http://capetalk.co.za/articles/306431/afrikaans-is-forced-on-children-in-schools-complain-parents#disqus_thread>
Afrikaans is forced on children in schools complain parents
<http://www.capetalk.co.za/articles/306431/afrikaans-is-forced-on-children-in-schools-complain-parents>
5
June 2018 12:47 PM

   1. Share this:
   2.
   <https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=http://www.capetalk.co.za/articles/306431/afrikaans-is-forced-on-children-in-schools-complain-parents>
   3. <https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?via=CapeTalk&text=Afrikaans is
   forced on children in schools complain
   parents&url=http://www.capetalk.co.za/articles/306431/afrikaans-is-forced-on-children-in-schools-complain-parents>
   4.
   <?subject=Afrikaans%20is%20forced%20on%20children%20in%20schools%20complain%20parents&body=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.capetalk.co.za%2Farticles%2F306431%2Fafrikaans-is-forced-on-children-in-schools-complain-parents%20-%20Callers%20on%20the%20Eusebius%20McKaiser%20Show%20say%20schools%20are%20forcing%20their%20kids%20to%20learn%20Afrikaans%20instead%20of%20their%20preferred%20languages.%20>
   5.

<https://twitter.com/share?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.capetalk.co.za%2Farticles%2F306431%2Fafrikaans-is-forced-on-children-in-schools-complain-parents&text=Language
choice is a parental choice.&via=CapeTalk>

Language choice is a parental choice.
— Angie Motshekga, Basic Education Minister

If you take your child to a school where the majority of parents will vote
for Afrikaans and English, it means you are bound by the decisions of your
counterparts or your fellow parental body.
— Angie Motshekga, Basic Education Minister

<https://twitter.com/share?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.capetalk.co.za%2Farticles%2F306431%2Fafrikaans-is-forced-on-children-in-schools-complain-parents&text=It's
a choice you would have made by going to that school and it's a choice you
have to live with.&via=CapeTalk>

It's a choice you would have made by going to that school and it's a choice
you have to live with.
— Angie Motshekga, Basic Education Minister

Callers on the Eusebius McKaiser show expressed their views on the language
policy at schools in reply to what Minister of Basic Education Angie
Motshekga said on Monday on the show.

Some parents expressed that the school has informed them that government
has made Afrikaans compulsory for learners in schools.

I'm a bit confused about the minister's statements on Afrikaans. I've got a
child who is in primary school. The child is so disappointed with
everything right now. I have to teach her Afrikaans and I don't know it. I
am forced to do homework with here that I don't even understand. In a
meeting, we were told the department requires them to do Afrikaans.
— Noma, Caller

*READ: *Number of teachers assaulting learners is embarrassingly high -
Motshekga
<http://www.702.co.za/articles/306264/number-of-teachers-assaulting-learners-is-embarrassingly-high-motshekga>

Why is the department giving the SGB the power to choose the language
policy? Why can't we choose between English and Xhosa?
— Lerato, Caller

We enrolled our child to attend school next year. Our understanding is that
the school teaches English, Afrikaans and Zulu and we as parents totally
support that.
— Zain, Caller

Other callers did not agree.

I'm failing to understand what all these parents are complaining about. If
a parent has a problem with Afrikaans why don't they take them to a school
where there is only Zulu, Tswana etc. If you don't want your child doing
Afrikaans what are you doing in a model C school?
— Sian, Caller

Eusebius intervened.

<https://twitter.com/share?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.capetalk.co.za%2Farticles%2F306431%2Fafrikaans-is-forced-on-children-in-schools-complain-parents&text=I
think that's an arrogant viewpoint. I don't think this is not a helpful
response and you know it.&via=CapeTalk>

I think that's an arrogant viewpoint. I don't think this is not a helpful
response and you know it.

-

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com