[lg policy] Klimkin: Abolition of Kivalov-Kolesnichenko ‘language’ law shouldn’t alarm nation’s minorities

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 15:42:45 UTC 2018

 Klimkin: Abolition of Kivalov-Kolesnichenko ‘language’ law shouldn’t alarm
nation’s minorities
By *Interfax-Ukraine* <https://www.kyivpost.com/author/interfax-ukraine>.
Published March 3 at 1:25 pm
Ukrainian Minister of Foreign Affairs Pavlo Klimkin addresses a joint press
conference after the meeting with Hungary's Minister of Foreign Affairs and
Trade Peter Szijjarto (not in picture) at the ministry in Hungary on Oct.
12, 2017. Ukrainian Minister of Foreign Affairs Pavlo Klimkin addresses a
joint press conference after the meeting with Hungary's Minister of Foreign
Affairs and Trade Peter Szijjarto (not in picture) at the ministry in
Hungary on Oct. 12, 2017.
Photo by *AFP*
Popular
on social media
Ukraine’s tennis star Elina Svitolina wins Dubai Open 572
<https://www.kyivpost.com/sport/ukraines-tennis-star-elina-svitolina-wins-dubai-open.html>
Online
activists identify dozens of Russian Wagner mercenaries 207
<https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/online-activists-identify-dozens-russian-wagner-mercenaries.html>
Ukrainians
fight and die among Russian Wagner mercenaries 87
<https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/ukrainians-fight-die-among-russian-wagner-mercenaries.html>

Foreign Minister of Ukraine Pavlo Klimkin assures that the national
minorities in Ukraine have no reason to be concerned about the cancellation
of the so-called “language” law of Kivalov-Kolesnichenko.

“Neither our Hungarians nor Hungary should have concerns about the
cancellation of the Kivalov-Kolesnichenko law. And one should not put it in
sequence, as they do – first the law on education, then the repeal of the
law [Kivalov-Kolesnichenko]. It is not a definite sequence. But this is a
consistent desire to make so that Hungarians will have all the chances to
realize themselves in Ukraine,” he said in Lviv during a Skype conference
with local media.

The minister considers correct the abolition of the language law.

“What we should do is a national discussion on how we should resolve this
issue within the country. I believe that many authorities should be
implemented by joint territorial communities, in simple matters, where they
do not concern the Ukrainian language as a state one and national issues of
the law,” Klimkin said.

Earlier, the media reported that Hungarian Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto
linked the adoption of the law on education with the language article,
unacceptable for Hungary, and the abolition of the language law of
Kivalov-Kolesnichenko, calling it a “brutal attack” on national minorities.

As reported, on February 28, the party of Svoboda All-Ukrainian Union said
that the Constitutional Court of Ukraine had recognized the law “On the
foundations of the state language policy” No. 5029-6 (the so-called
Kivalov-Kolesnichenko law) as unconstitutional

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com