[lg policy] Nigeria: El-Rufai, Akeredolu Canvass Use of Indigenous Language, Seek Educational Reform

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Sat May 12 15:12:10 UTC 2018

 Nigeria: El-Rufai, Akeredolu Canvass Use of Indigenous Language, Seek
Educational Reform
Tagged:

   - Nigeria <http://allafrica.com/nigeria/>
   - West Africa <http://allafrica.com/westafrica/>

tweet
<https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A%2F%2Fallafrica.com%2Fstories%2F201805110853.html&text=El-Rufai%2C%20Akeredolu%20Canvass%20Use%20of%20Indigenous%20Language%2C%20Seek%20Educational%20Reform&via=allafrica&related=allafrica,allafricafrench,allafricasport>
share
Google+
comment
<http://allafrica.com/stories/201805110853.html#comments>
email
<http://allafrica.com/#email>
more
<https://www.addtoany.com/share#url=http%3A%2F%2Fallafrica.com%2Fstories%2F201805110853.html&title=Nigeria%3A%20El-Rufai%2C%20Akeredolu%20Canvass%20Use%20of%20Indigenous%20Language%2C%20Seek%20Educational%20Reform%20-%20allAfrica.com>
Related Topics

   - Nigeria <http://allafrica.com/nigeria/>
   Nigeria: Tiwa Savage Reacts to Davido's Comments On Her Relationship
   With Wizkid
   <http://allafrica.com/stories/201805120200.html>
   Nigeria: Catholic Bishops Invite Pope to Visit Over Herdsmen Killings
   <http://allafrica.com/stories/201805120068.html>
   Nigeria: PDP, 30 Other Political Parties Boycott Kaduna Council Polls
   <http://allafrica.com/stories/201805120201.html>
   Nigeria: 11,639 Delegates to Participate in APC Congress in Katsina
   <http://allafrica.com/stories/201805120203.html>
   - West Africa <http://allafrica.com/westafrica/>
   Nigeria: Police Arraign Ebonyi Lawmaker for Alleged Certificate Forgery
   <http://allafrica.com/stories/201805120073.html>
   Nigeria: Traditional Medicine and Cure for Malaria
   <http://allafrica.com/stories/201805110865.html>
   Nigeria: CAN National Secretary, Musa Asake, Is Dead
   <http://allafrica.com/stories/201805110864.html>
   Nigeria: IYC Cautions Against Etete, Others' Prosecution Over Malabu Oil
   Deal
   <http://allafrica.com/stories/201805110863.html>

By Oluwaseun Akingboye

Akure — Governor Malam Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State has called for an
overhaul of the country's educational policy, stressing that there is dire
need to adopt indigenous language for all round development.In the same
vein, the Ondo State governor and visitor to the university, Oluwarotimi
Akeredolu, lauded his Kaduna State counterpart for his audacious revolution
in the education sector.

Akeredolu, who reiterated a need for curricular reform and a common
indigenous language for all the ethnic groups in the country, described
education as the bedrock of socio-economic development.

The duo stated this during the fourth distinguished guest lecture of the
University of Medical Sciences (UNIMED), Ondo, titled: "Transforming
Nigerian Educational System: Looking Back and Looking Forward."The Ondo
governor, who condemned widespread clamour for political restructuring,
said: "Restructuring must start from the education sector. If we get it
right here, other things will follow. Why are we not starting from here
because it will affect other sectors?"

While asserting that the current educational policy operated in the country
is obsolete, El-Rufai stressed that it could not meet up with the present
education demands and realities.His words: "I think that fundamental
reforms are needed in education and I think what the Federal Ministry of
Education needs to do is to lead in reviewing the National policy on
education, which is already forty or fifty years old.

"In my view, it is out of time; in the 21st century, so much has changed in
education, but there is a need to sit down and get experts in the subjects
to look at what is happening in the educational policies of countries in
the world: what is changing."Professionals are dying and new ones are
coming up. Our curriculum and policies on education are all grounded in the
20th century, we are in the 21st and there is need for a holistic review of
that."

The Kaduna governor, who lamented that the nation has not sustained the
investment on education in the past despite its importance to the
development of the citizenry in all ramifications, however, stated that
"the situation in Kaduna is perhaps better than some states in the North in
terms of education.

He said though the legislation to eradicate early girl-child marriage in
the Kaduna State Assembly suffered setback due to perceived religious
condemnation, his administration dared such constituted authorities and
passed it into law in February.

He said: "Of course, associated to that is the quest for indigenous
language. Should we still be teaching from primary to university in English
Language? What can we learn from other countries that teach in their own
indigenous languages up to university level?

"They teach from primary to tertiary institutions in their own languages
and they have gone to space. China is competing with America and will soon
overtake the United States (U.S.) as the largest economy in the world.

"They are dominant force in ICT and defence, yet they are taught in
Chinese. Is there something we can learn there? Are we slowing down our
development by insisting that the only language of the educational
communication is English?"

"This national policy should look at issues like this and come up with
policies on education that will prepare young people of Nigeria for the
21st century because right now, the education we are giving them may not be
fit for 21st century to compete globally."
Nigeria
Tiwa Savage Reacts to Davido's Comments On Her Relationship With Wizkid
<http://allafrica.com/stories/201805120200.html>

Nigerians have been expressing their views suspecting that there is
something special going on between popular Nigerian… Read more »
<http://allafrica.com/stories/201805120200.html>

*Read the original article
<https://guardian.ng/news/el-rufai-akeredolu-canvass-use-of-indigenous-language-seek-educational-reform/>
on Guardian <http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/>.*
See What Everyone is Watching

   -
   -
   -

Copyright <http://allafrica.com/misc/info/copyright.html> © 2018 The
Guardian <http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/>. All rights reserved.
Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com <http://allafrica.com/>).
To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for
permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click
here.
<http://allafrica.com/view/publisher/editorial/editorial/id/00010172.html>

AllAfrica publishes around 800 reports a day from more than 140 news
organizations
<http://allafrica.com/list/publisher/editorial/editorial/type/pub.html> and
over 500 other institutions and individuals
<http://allafrica.com/list/publisher/editorial/editorial/type/reg.html>,
representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and
views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government
publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are
responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal
right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher
are produced
or commissioned by AllAfrica <http://allafrica.com/inhouse/>. To address
comments or complaints, please Contact us
<http://allafrica.com/misc/forms/general.html>

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com