[lg policy] Laws to protect the Ukrainian language is grossly contrary to the Constitution – the political scientist

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:48:17 UTC 2018

Laws to protect the Ukrainian language is grossly contrary to the
Constitution – the political scientist
magictr <http://sivpost.com/author/magictr/> | October 3, 2018 | Politic
<http://sivpost.com/category/politic/> | No Comments
<http://sivpost.com/laws-to-protect-the-ukrainian-language-is-grossly-contrary-to-the-constitution-the-political-scientist/24065/#respond>

[image: Законопроекты по защите украинского языка грубо противоречат
Конституции - политолог]

The consideration in the Verkhovna Rada on 4 October draft laws on language
are irrelevant to defending the rights of the Ukrainian language and
grossly contrary to the provisions enshrined in the Constitution.

This opinion in comments to the correspondent of ГолосUA said the Director
of the Ukrainian Institute of policy analysis and management Ruslan Bortnik.

“The consideration of Parliament the draft state language 4 Oct – this is a
common political strategy, unrelated to the protection of the Ukrainian
language; only the attempt to realize one’s campaign promises Poroshenko,
which he now puts forward as one of the basic promises of his current
election campaign”, – said the analyst.

R. Bortnik noted that on October 4 the Parliament will consider four bills.
And the authors who wrote them, will want during the discussion to get
their share of PR. In addition, the opposition have a project which is
based on the law “Kolesnichenko-Kivalov”, submitted to the Parliament
Jevgenijs Musaevym.

“If passed, the new law and the President will sign it, thus he violates
his promises even in 2014. Since then the PhD programme specified that
Poroshenko is committed to maintain the current status quo of the language
policy and to respect the rights of national minorities, including the
Russian language”, – explained the analyst.

The political scientist also noted that all four bills, which are intended
for consideration in the Parliament, in flagrant contradiction with the
Constitution of Ukraine, especially in the second part of article tenth,
which provides that the state guarantees the free use and development of
languages of national minorities. But these bills none of the above can’t
guarantee that.

“Of course, the adoption of a new law on language, undoubtedly, will cause
a strong reaction in the West. Perhaps, konsolidiruyutsya Hungary and other
countries – Romania, Bulgaria, Poland. Previously they were not able to
consolidate with each other on the issue of language of education because
they are in this part are in different position. But in the question of
business activity, cultural environment, the media, of course, the issue
they can consolidate. And the conflict with its Western neighbors will
become even more accentuated,” concluded R. Bortnik.

Recall that on 1 October at a meeting of the conciliation Council speaker
Andriy Parubiy reported that on 4 October, the Verkhovna Rada plans to
consider draft laws on language.

“On Thursday – and I am convinced that this is the key question this week,
which repeatedly spoke to me of the faction of both the coalition and the
opposition, is the draft law on languages in Ukraine”, – said Parubiy.

The speaker also noted that there are four bills that have passed the
examination in the relevant Committee.

“I will propose to consider the law on languages in Ukraine under the full
procedure to the speakers in all four bills had the opportunity to speak,
so we were able to discuss in full the procedure and the discussion to
select one and take it to first reading… And we can start preparing for the
second reading… Now in this area there is a vacuum, as the constitutional
Court overturned the law Kolesnichenko – Kivalov, and for many of us who
were in the hall, when the hall was broken under the law of Kolesnichenko –
Kivalova, it should be a matter of honor, so we can take a modern European
law on the state language in Ukraine”, – said Parubiy.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com