[lg policy] Ukraine's Parliament can adopt law on language this autumn

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:41:32 UTC 2018

 Ukraine's Parliament can adopt law on language this autumn
The speaker provided his vision of the tasks for the ninth session of the
Verkhovna Rada
17:53, 3 September 2018
<https://img.112.international/original/2018/08/23/276423.PNG>
Parliament of Ukraine <http://rada.gov.ua/ru>

The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
<https://112.international/politics/poroshenko-to-submit-bill-on-constitutional-euro-atlantic-integration-course-31479.html>
has to adopt the defense draft laws, Electoral Code and law on language
this autumn. Andry Paruby, the speaker of the parliament claimed this as 112
Ukraine reported <http://112.ua/>.

"The security issue remains to be the most important for us. I want to
remind that at the end of the previous session we adopted the law on the
national security
<https://112.international/ukraine-top-news/verkhovna-rada-adopts-law-on-national-security-of-ukraine-29588.html>
that provides the implementation and adoption of the number of the next
laws. The law on the SBU, law on the intelligence bodies, the law on the
state defensive order are among them and I remind you that it is our
commitment, the law on the detached parliamentarian committee that will
provide the parliamentarian control over the security sector and
intelligence bodies," Paruby noted.
*Related: *Verkhovna Rada adopted a law on organic products labeling
<https://112.international/article/verkhovna-rada-adopted-a-law-on-organic-products-labeling-30113.html>

He emphasized the importance of the information security issue.

"I talked to Head of Committee Viktoria Syumar to prepare the offers on the
information security because if we cannot protect our internal
informational space that it is hard to talk about the protection from the
external aggression. Unfortunately, I can confirm that the internal
informational space was attacked, also by people who openly work for the
country-aggressor," he said.
*Related: *Verkhovna Rada adopts ‘single point of contact’ mechanism in
customs
<https://112.international/ukraine-top-news/verkhovna-rada-adopts-single-point-of-contact-mechanism-in-customs-29964.html>

Paruby expressed the hope that the draft budget for 2019 will be registered
in time (September 15) and the MPs will make it discuss the budget before
its adoption.

"The important block is the elective one. We begin the election year and it
will be important this autumn to finish the issue of the forming of the
Central Election Commission. I remind about the Electoral Code as the
biggest draft law on the number of the amendments. I talked to the head of
the task groups Chernenko and I urged him to maximally speed up the
consideration of the amendments so we will be able to consider the
Electoral Code understanding its volume and it can take two plenary weeks,
but we should come and consider the Electoral Code
<https://112.international/politics/ukrainian-parliament-considers-two-models-of-electoral-code-mp-31634.html>
this autumn," parliament's speaker noted.
*Related: *Verkhovna Rada officially publishes resolution condemning
Sushchenko’s sentence
<https://112.international/conflict-in-eastern-ukraine/verkhovna-rada-officially-publishes-resolution-convicting-sushchenkos-sentence-29300.html>

Moreover, he expressed the belief that the parliament should decide on the
language issue.

"Also, I am sure that this autumn, at this session, we should consider the
law on language. As the Constitutional Court canceled the so-called law of
Kolesnichenko-Kivalov (The law on the principles of the state language
policy), the legislative vacuum occurred and we should fill it. There are
five registered draft laws; the majority of them are already considered by
the committee and I urged the parties last spring to hold the discussion so
we will be able to follow one negotiated draft law," Paruby said.
*Related: *294 Ukrainians considered MIAs in Donbas, - Parliamentary Vice
Speaker
<https://112.international/conflict-in-eastern-ukraine/294-ukrainians-considered-mias-in-donbas-parliamentary-vice-speaker-31664.html>

According to him, in autumn the Verkhovna Rada will consider the draft laws
necessary for the eurointegration and implementation of the Association
Agreement with the EU.

"And, of course, there are the amendments to the Constitution. I remind
that the Constitutional Court made a decision on two draft law on the
inviolability and we should consider these two bills and made a decision on
them. I remind that the decision should be made by 226 voices this session
and by 330 during the next one, but we should consider this issue in
autumn," the speaker concluded.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com