[lg policy] No indication of Fonterra's changing its packaging language policy in Sri Lanka

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 15:21:56 UTC 2018

--
=+ No indication of Fonterra's changing its packaging language policy in
Sri Lanka

Date
<https://menafn.com/1097409986/No-indication-of-Fonterras-changing-its-packaging-language-policy-in-Sri-Lanka#>
9/10/2018 4:26:20 AM

   -
   - Tweet on Twitter
   <https://menafn.com/1097409986/No-indication-of-Fonterras-changing-its-packaging-language-policy-in-Sri-Lanka#>
   -
   -
   -

(MENAFN - NewsIn.Asia) Colombo, September 9 (newsin.asia): Fonterra Brands
Sri Lanka has indicated that it has no plans to change its policy on the
languages used in the packaging of its milk products in Sri Lanka. Reacting
to scathing comments and threatened governmental action for violating the
country's language policy, Fonterra Brands Sri Lanka said that it has a
uniform policy in regard to the language used in the packaging throughout a
East and South East Asia. "Whilst our Anchor Butter Product Packaging is
fully compliant with the packaging regulations of Sri Lanka, we understand
and empathise with the recent concerns regarding the languages used on the
pack. To clarify, Anchor Butter is made, packaged and exported from New
Zealand to multiple countries in East and South East Asia. The same pack is
made available to Sri Lanka. Hence, the product packaging includes the
commonly spoken language in these respective countries. We reiterate that
the languages on the pack are not a reflection of our respect for diversity
and the value we place on all our customers." But this does not explain why
they left out Tamil which is the second most used language in Sri Lanka
which has to be used in public communication by law in Sri Lanka. It also
does not explain why Chinese is used and that with precedence over
Sinhalese which is the dominant local language. Meanwhile the Minister of
National Languages Mano Ganeshan said that government has initiated action
against Fonterra Brands in Sri Lanka for breaching the national language
policy.

MENAFN1009201801910000ID1097409986

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com