[lg policy] FF+ serves Panyaza Lesufi with legal papers over schools’ language policy

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 15:03:26 UTC 2018

 FF+ serves Panyaza Lesufi with legal papers over schools’ language policy

Lesufi says he was served with legal papers in a fresh bid by the FF+ to
take him on for his stance that all languages must be treated equally in
schools.
[image: FILE: Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi. Picture: Sethembiso
Zulu/EWN.]
FILE: Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi. Picture: Sethembiso Zulu/EWN.

   - Gauteng Education Department
   <https://ewn.co.za/Topic/Gauteng-Education-Department>
   - Panyaza Lesufi <https://ewn.co.za/Topic/Panyaza-Lesufi>
   - Freedom Front Plus <https://ewn.co.za/Topic/Freedom-Front-Plus>
   - Hoerskool Overvaal <https://ewn.co.za/Topic/Hoerskool-Overvaal>
   - Afrikaans in schools <https://ewn.co.za/Topic/Afrikaans-in-schools>

   - Email
   <https://ewn.co.za/2018/09/18/ff-serves-panyaza-lesufi-with-legal-papers-over-schools-language-policy>
   - Print
   <https://ewn.co.za/2018/09/18/ff-serves-panyaza-lesufi-with-legal-papers-over-schools-language-policy#>
   -
   -
   -

Mia Lindeque <https://ewn.co.za/Contributors/mia-lindeque> | 5 hours ago

JOHANNESBURG - Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza
<https://ewn.co.za/2018/01/18/lesufi-pleased-parents-of-rejected-overvaal-pupils-agreed-to-alternative-school>
Lesufi is facing a legal battle after the Freedom Front Plus (FF+) served
him with papers detailing 272 charges regarding the controversial language
issue in schools.

Two months ago, the department lost a court battle against the Afrikaans
medium school Overvaal High after 55 English-speaking pupils were denied
enrolment earlier in 2018
<http://ewn.co.za/2018/02/06/gauteng-education-dept-court-ruling-on-hoerskool-overvaal-incorrect>.

The court found that Lesufi didn’t give Overvaal enough consideration on
whether neighbouring English schools had the capacity.

Lesufi says that he was served with legal papers on Monday night in a fresh
bid by the Freedom Front Plus to take him on for his stance that all
languages must be treated equally in schools.

“They say we’re interfering with the education of Afrikaans-speaking
pupils, that pupils have the right to be taught in their own language
without any other race. Therefore, any person that interferes with that
process is contravening Section 29 of the Constitution.”

Lesufi views the charges as cheap politicking.

“It frightens me because I do believe people are taking advantage of the
fears and frustration of a certain section of our society. People have been
propagating lies and wrong information to this community for them to get
votes to go to Parliament in 2019.”

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com