[lg policy] Brexit is the Ideal Moment to Make English the EU’s Common Language

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Tue Jun 25 18:22:39 UTC 2019

[Note: I post this not because I agree with the opinion but for the sake of noting the position.]

The Economist

Brexit is the ideal moment to make English the EU’s common language

For most of its life, the European Union had three main languages. German was its leading mother tongue. French was the preferred register of Brussels diplomacy. English was a widely used second language. But in recent years the rise of the internet and the accession of central and eastern European states have made English dominant. Today over 80% of the European Commission’s documents are written first in that language, then translated into the EU’s remaining 23 official tongues.

Full story:
https://www.economist.com/europe/2019/06/15/brexit-is-the-ideal-moment-to-make-english-the-eus-common-language