[Linganth] Voices from the Days of Slavery: Former Slaves Tell Their Stories

Patrick, Peter L patrickp at essex.ac.uk
Wed Jan 28 14:44:23 UTC 2004

Thanks Kerim for posting that!
Many list members may know this, but these are -- by and large --
the same interviews transcribed* and commented on in

Guy Bailey, Natalie Maynor & Patricia Cukor-Avila, eds. 1991.
The emergence of Black English: Texts and commentary. Amsterdam: John Benjamins

http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~patrickp/aavesem/texts/Resources.html#EBE

and analysed in many papers since-- see esp. Benji Wald's pointed review
in Language in Society, and David Sutcliffe's various papers adding to and
contesting the transcripts (also Rickford's, in EBE itself).

(All these references & more can be found on my AAE bibliography page,
http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~patrickp/aavesem/Biblio.html, c. 400 entries,
along with a couple under my own name about these recordings)

The recordings have now been mounted on the web, probably from the reel-to-reel
masters which were the source for the analyses above (they were originally
recorded in various formats, some now well obsolete), though whether from the
filtered or unfiltered versions I am not sure.

best,

	-peter p-

Prof Peter L Patrick
Dept of Language and Linguistics