[Linganth] "other"/"authentic" languages in film

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Fri Oct 22 19:07:56 UTC 2004

Peter,

Thanks for pointing this out; the "authenticity" business is extremely
elusive and complicated, and I actually started out to write something
about it, and realized it would have to be a book.  It gets into all that
stuff--Ethnicity,  Identity & Racism, and also purism, which is sort of
what piqued my fancy (Tamil, diglossia, etc. and Arabic language "purity"
(of the Koran) being equated with religious purity...)

If I ever write my book, I'll look at whatyou've suggested below.

Hal