humor

Alexandre Enkerli enkerli at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 15:57:12 UTC 2006

Fascinating topic!

Has anyone here encountered reluctance on the part of colleagues to
discuss humour and joking?

For those who might be interested, jokes and humour are important
issues for folkloristics in general and the discipline has an
extensive literature on humour in conversation and narratives. For
instance, jokes are often analysed as a specific verbal genre,
embedded in personal experience narratives (anecdotes), and framed as
performance. (Cf. Bauman et al.'s theory of performance.)
Indiana University's Moira Smith has published interesting things on
"latrinalia" and other forms of humour.

Two years ago, at an African Studies conference, I tried framing a
presentation on "joking relationships" among Malian hunters as a
discussion of the power of jokes as a verbal genre. It didn't really
work as planned, mostly through my own fault. It also seems that
because "cathartic alliances" are a serious matter, people were
unwilling to discuss the actual jokes which are at the surface level
of interactions between "joking relatives."

In Quebec, humour is often perceived as a defining characteristic of
interpersonal relationships. Not that we necessarily use humour more
frequently than others do, but humour is the default/unmarked mode of
much interpersonal interaction, including rather formal dialogue. In
Québécois contexts, the concept of «baver» (from the French verb for
"to drool") refers to intense teasing and is quite prominent in daily
interactions, even among strangers.

As for the Göteborg conference, any chance those papers on humour will
be available online?

Cheers!

--
Alexandre, in Montreal