Video Phenomena

Harriet J. Ottenheimer mahafan at KSU.EDU
Wed Feb 10 21:43:26 UTC 2010

I love Michael Wesch's work (and the fact that he is a former student of
mine makes me extra proud!).

I must say I was unaware of auditory hallucinations in English. I would
love to be pointed to some good examples in English.

Harriet

Alexandre Enkerli wrote:
> [...]
> history of "whatever":
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6eMdMZezAQ
>
> And the Manitoba one on media literacy could be used in a dicussion of...
> literacy. (Possibly his most academic video.)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4yApagnr0s
>

> On "auditory hallucinations" (I thought it was a common concept in English
> too, though it might be more popular in French), they could probably serve
> several purposes, in LingAnth courses. Typically, in Francophone
> communities, we use them for entertainment value. But it's quite likely that
> a latent function is to negotiate the status of different languages.
> Especially when they have to do with the dominance of songs in English. In a
> way, it could even have to do with claiming limited understanding of
> English.
>
> Here in Quebec, a French-speaking "morning zoo" show ("Y'é trop d'bonne
> heure" on CKOI, a popular station with a named pronounced like "it's what?"
> or "What is it?") used to have a segment called "Les hallucinations du
> tigre" (as a play on "hallucinations auditives"). Part of the game
> was  actually to build a story around the misheard quotes. I vaguely
> remember one based on a cyclist hurting himself. One "hallucination" was
> from a song in Maninka by Salif Keita in which it allegedly said "Mon bel
> Acadien tes p'tites pommes" ("My nice Acadian man, your little apples" with
> the allusion being to the man's testicles).
> Some examples were much longer but the only one I remember very precisely is
> "(I've been through every single) book I know" in Sting's /Be Still My
> Beating Heart/ which was heard as "des beaux cadeaux" ("some nice gifts").
>
> Cheers!
>
> --
> Alexandre
> http://enkerli.com/
>

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 16:21, SLA Webmaster <slawebguru at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Seems like Bambi's message didn't make it to the list:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 08:14, Bambi Schieffelin <bs4 at nyu.edu> wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPAO-lZ4_hU
>> Have a look at Michael Wesch's piece about YouTube for the Library of
>> Congress - also his "mwesch's channel" (on YouTube) wh has a lot of
>> the source pieces he uses, including the Numa Numa sequences.
>> BBS
>>

>> Cheers!
>>
>> --
>> Alex Enkerli
>> SLA Web Guru
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Alexandre Enkerli <enkerli at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, in the playlist under the video Jess sent, there's a mention of
>>> "Numa Numa Guy." If you don't know, it comes from yet another "viral
>>>
>> video,"
>>
>>> which students may not have seen and which could also be the basis for
>>>
>> some
>>
>>> discussion.
>>> In that video, Gary Brolsma recorded himself while reacting to

>>> O-Zone:

--

2010 Annual Central States Anthropological Society Conference
April 8-11, 2010 -- Madison, Wisconsin

For the most up-to-date conference information go to:
http://www.creighton.edu/groups/csas/annualmeeting/index.php