AV tools for teaching intro to ling anth (esp. films, youtubes, etc)

Jennifer Dickinson Jennifer.Dickinson at UVM.EDU
Mon Dec 12 17:16:05 UTC 2011

Alejandro,
I really like Multilingual Hong Kong which is a great video on
codeswitching that the students also seem to like.

 From a series by Oliver Sacks Parts of "The Rajin' Cajun" can be used
for a very simple intro to ASL but it also deals with related
communication issues.

On YouTube the Swedish Chef is good for discussing mock language,
including an episode that discusses mock Japanese.  There are also some
old Bugs Bunny cartoons that show WWII era mock German.

And then there's this piece which is good for a day when you just want
to give everyone a laugh:

http://youtu.be/BZXcRqFmFa8

J.