Silence and Free Speech (separate requests)

Smith, Andrea L smithal at LAFAYETTE.EDU
Sat Oct 19 00:12:13 UTC 2013

There is a great edited volume on silence that your student might enjoy:

Perspectives on Silence, ed. by Deborah Tannen and Muriel Saville-Troike. Norwood, NJ: Ablex.

Best, Andrea Smith

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alejandro Paz" <alejandro.paz at UTORONTO.CA>
To: LINGANTH at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:24:50 PM
Subject: Silence and Free Speech (separate requests)

Dear Colleagues,

I have two separate requests for references from a student and a
colleague, which you may perhaps be able to help me with.

First is work on silence. I know articles by Sue Gal and Norma
Mendoza-Denton, as well as Richard Bauman's book on the Quakers.
Anything you recommend apart from that?

The second is work on "free speech." Here, nothing came directly to mind
on that topic. Although related would be stuff on public oratory and
public spheres, especially in democratic polities, and then of course on
censorship (like Domenic Boyer's article). So any suggestions here on
"free speech" or on "censorship" appreciated.

Thank you,
Alejandro

Alejandro Paz
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
University of Toronto Scarborough
Graduate Depts of Anthropology and Linguistics
University of Toronto

Andrea Smith, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology and Sociology
Lafayette College
Easton, PA 18042