name changes and transgendered identity

Karen Pennesi pennesi at UWO.CA
Tue Sep 24 16:05:04 UTC 2013

Hello,

Can anyone recommend literature that deals with changes of personal names
(and pronouns) as part of the transition to a transgendered identity? I'm
doing research on difficulties and fitting in strategies related to personal
names of immigrants and I have a student interested in name-related changes
and identity-making processes among transgendered people. I'm curious about
the similarities and differences between the two and suspect that there must
be something about names and naming in the literature on gender and
identity. It would be helpful to have some idea of where to start looking.

Thanks,

Karen Pennesi
Department of Anthropology
University of Western Ontario