[Linganth] Call for Papers: "Semiotic Manipulations, Un/suspended Disbelief" at the 2024 Australian Anthropology Society Conference

Josh Babcock josh.babcock at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 13:13:33 UTC 2024

Dear colleagues,

I'm excited to share the CFP below for an interdisciplinary panel at the
2024 Australian Anthropology Society Conference in late November 2024. The
conference doesn't officially have a hybrid option, but we'll be happy to
work with accepted panelists if they won't be able to travel to Western
Australia in late November. Individual proposals for papers or other
creative formats are collected via a centralized portal. The submission
link is below together with our contact info, full information on the
panel, and details on the process. Submissions are due on *August 25, 2024*.

Looking forward to receiving your proposals!

Best,

Josh & CC
--

Call for Papers:
*Semiotic Manipulations, Un/suspended Disbelief: Aporias of Art and

The work of discipline requires manipulation. This is true not only for
activities viewed as external but also for labor recognized as internal and
integral to disciplinary functioning. Our panel approaches “manipulation”
in a double sense: first, the semiotics of manipulating and being
manipulated—of attempting to control or coerce others’ actions, often
unscrupulously; and second, the manipulation of semiosis—the motivated
expansion or contraction of the domain and range of signs by which
goal-directed action is attempted, whether successful or not. We stage a
comparative intervention, first, between the discourses and semiotic
processes of manipulation that uphold anthropology in crisis and crisis in
anthropology, and second, the manipulation of signs that render forms of
suspended dis/belief possible in art and aesthetic production—on and
offstage, on and offscreen, on and off the page, in and outside the image.
Far from a unidirectional or one-sided exercise of power, manipulation is
always achieved across power-laden, mutually implicating relational roles.
We ask: how do individuals, groups, and signs come to be manipulated? And
what are the ritualized ends through which belief gets differentially,
situationally, and partially suspended in processes of enactment? We
welcome participants from anthropology, adjacent disciplines, and the arts.

To propose a paper for consideration:
All papers must be submitted using the AAS's online submission portal
<https://www.aas.asn.au/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=143481&module_id=395248>
 by *August 25, 2024*, at 11:59 *am* EST (right before noon because of the
time zone). You'll be asked for the following:

   - Title
   - Abstract (≤200 words)
   - Author data
   - Locate our panel in the "Panel Themes" dropdown at the bottom of the
   form (we're #5)

*Questions? Contact the organizers!*

Organizers:
*Joshua Babcock* (joshua_babcock at brown.edu)
*Department of Anthropology, Brown University, Providence, USA*
*Cheng-Chai Chiang* (ccchiang at berkeley.edu)
*Department of English, University of California-Berkeley, Berkeley, USA*