[Linganth] Reminder: Society for Linguistic Anthropology nominations committee deadline 10/15

SLA Online soclinganth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 15:55:04 UTC 2024

The Society for Linguistic Anthropology is seeking to fill one appointed
position, slated to begin this Fall 2024 after the Annual Meetings. We want
to encourage interested members either to nominate themselves (note: this
is what generally happens) or someone else (which you can do if you know
someone who would be a good and willing candidate) for this position.

Please send nominations to jahlers at csusm.edu by *October 15, 2024*.
The appointed position we are looking to fill are:

   - Nominations Committee (November 2024)

Nominating yourself may sound mysterious, but it is a simple process. Just
send your name and the position you are interested in to get started. We
(the members of the nominations committee) are also happy to talk to you
about the open positions or the process, connect you with others who have
held a given position previously or currently hold it, and answer general
questions. So please get in touch if you are curious about getting involved
in the SLA, even if you know very little about how it all works. We are
eager to help members new to SLA service understand how they might
contribute, and we hope to move well beyond our personal networks as we
search for contributors.

Below is a description of the open position. Please consider nominating
yourself or others, and, of course, reach out with questions if you are
unsure what a role entails.

We look forward to hearing from you!
Jocelyn Ahlers (jahlers at csusm.edu
Britta Ingebretson (bingebretson at fordham.edu)
Charles Zuckerman (zuckermc at bc.edu)

*APPOINTED POSITION: SLA Nominations Committee Member *
The SLA nominations committee organizes candidate slates for elected
leadership positions in the SLA. The nominations committee maintains
communication with the section president regarding position openings, helps
formulate position descriptions, and assists in the identification and
recruitment of candidates for appointed positions. The committee works with
the AAA staff to ensure that ballots and candidate slates meet AAA
guidelines. As members of the SLA extended board, members of the SLA
Nominations Committee receive an annual stipend of $250 toward attending
the AAA annual meeting.
*Note*:  All elected and appointed positions are part of the SLA Extended
Board. Beginning in November 2025, all Extended Board positions within the
SLA are professional service volunteer (i.e., unpaid) positions. [Journal
of Linguistic Anthropology Editor is a paid position.] SLA Extended Board
members are eligible for an annual travel reimbursement of $250 to support
their participation in official business at either the AAA or the SLA
meeting. "Official business" refers to the Extended Board Meeting and the
SLA Business Meeting.

--
*Society for Linguistic Anthropology Online*
Digital Media Directors: Catherine Tebaldi (Universite du Luxembourg),