[Linganth] SfAA Conference Call for Panel Abstracts

Lauren Alyssa Hayes lhayes9 at uwyo.edu
Mon Oct 21 17:39:56 UTC 2024

Society for Applied Anthropology 2025 Meeting, Call for Panel Abstract

Defining Care and Reproductive Work

Anthropology has long recognized that care work is hidden work–categorized as informal or found within the private sphere. Care work is overlooked, gendered, and devalued. To better address issues surrounding reproductive and care work in ways relevant to social service or policy, this panel explores how people think about and value this work. Papers might examine, 1) how people define which practices are associated with care and reproductive work, and 2) how this work relates to other aspects of self, such as career identity, cultural affiliation, kinship, and community roles. We welcome cross-cultural perspectives that also recognize how care work intersects with systems of gender, race, class, and sexuality.

If interested in joining this panel, please send abstracts of 100 words to Emilia Guevara (eguevar1 at umd.edu<mailto:eguevar1 at umd.edu>), Lauren Hayes (lhayes9 at uwyo.edu<mailto:lhayes9 at uwyo.edu>), and Josie Corbett (jcorbet5 at uwyo.edu<mailto:jcorbet5 at uwyo.edu>) by 5pm Friday 10/25. We will notify panelists of decisions on Monday 10/28.

--
Lauren Hayes, PhD
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
lhayes9 at uwyo.edu