[Linganth] New PhD Program

Charles Zuckerman zuckermc at bc.edu
Mon Sep 30 20:21:28 UTC 2024

Dear linguistic anthropologists,

I am writing to advertise a new PhD program at Boston College in the
Department of Formative Education (
https://www.bc.edu/content/bc-web/schools/lynch-school/academics/departments/dfe.html),
my new institutional home. The cross-disciplinary program—which draws from
history and philosophy, anthropology and humanistic psychology, design
thinking, and the learning sciences (and currently includes myself and
Stanton Wortham as resident linguistic anthropologists on the faculty)—was
founded three years ago. It imagines education in the broadest sense of
that term—think, for instance, of the various ways we are ‘socialized’ as
children and adults—well beyond the confines of the classroom (evidenced,
for instance, by the scope of my own research). The positions are
competitive but fully funded for four years; and there is internal funding
to be found thereafter. The deadline to apply is December 1.

If you have undergraduate or master’s students considering a PhD who you
think might be interested in our program, and its pan-disciplinary approach
to these issues, please forward this email along and/or have them get in
touch with me to discuss more.

Best wishes to you all,

-Chip Zuckerman

--
Charles, usually "Chip," Zuckerman
Assistant Professor, Department of Formative Education