Query: speaker's irresponsible marker

bingfu bingfu at USC.EDU
Wed Apr 8 13:24:12 UTC 1998

Hi, Hideaki,
	Your analogism between Chinese 'de' and
Japanese 'no' is based on the assumption that both
are modification markers or something similar.
	However, I am wondering whether the assumption
hold.
	They seem to be distributionally complementary
rather than identical.  Consider the following paradigms.

	(1) A comparison of the distributions of 'de' and 'no':
	(D, Q, NP, RC, AP = determiner, numeral(+classifier),
	 noun phrase, adjective phrase respectively)

	       	D	Q	NP	RC	AP
		______no__________
				_______de__________

Namely, in Japanese, D and Q obligatorily require 'no', but RC and AP
don't.  Chinese 'de' is opposite in this respect. The only shared portion
of distribution is when they follow NP.

Given that as modifiers, D and Q are basically to restrict reference of
the head noun (making their mother NPs definite and indefinite
respectively), but RC and AP are basically to describe the properties of
the head noun, we may say that 'de' is basically descriptive, but 'no'
basically restrictive.

That both de and no follow the NP can be accommodated with the
non-exclusion between restrictiveness and descriptiveness.
NPs can be both restrictive and descriptive. This can be
analogized to the cases that a possessive can take either noun/pronoun
form or adjectival form, even in the same language, such as "Italy's
invasion of Albania" and "The Italian invasion of Albania".
Loosely speaking,
Chinese NP-de is close to "Italian" while Japanese
NP-no to "Italy's", Given
that nominals are dominantly referential while adjectives are dominantly
descriptive.

This semantic difference seems to be able to explain why the
sentence-final 'no' adds uncertainty to the sentence while
sentence-final 'de' adds certaity. Condiser the following,

(2) a. 	sekai  o  odorokasu enzetu
 	world Obj astonish    speech
	'the speech that surprises the world'

    b. 	sekai  o  odorakasu no enzetu
	'the speech that is said to surprise the world'

As has been noted, a RC modifier with no always implies a quotative sense,
without any commitment to the real properties of the modified NP.  Given
that implicating true properties are the primary condition for
descriptiveness, Japanese RC with no can be said to have less descriptive
power and consequently less certainty. 'said to be...' is similar
to 'so-called', 'alleged' 'aforementioned', basically a referentially
restrictive modifier.

The following are examples of distribution of 'de' and 'no', for those
who are not familiar with Chinese and Japanese.

	(3) a.  zhe (*de) ren
               this       person
		'this person'

	       b. san-ben (*de) shu