Summary of object-like adverbials

bingfu bingfu at USC.EDU
Wed Dec 16 23:40:29 UTC 1998

Dear Prof. Givon,

	Thanks for your very informative message!

	If morphological object-marker is so widely used
much beyond objects, we may term them just as minimal marker
or default marker, etc.  In fact, their function is first to
mark atypical objects, not typical. Because atypical objects
are likely to be confused with subjects, with respect to thematic
roles, they need to be marked, or discriminated.
The fact that object-markers mark atypical objects more often than
typical one, one may say, as Comrie
suggested, their primary function is to discriminate role differences, but
not indicate specific roles.
	This may be related to the inconsitency I mentioned in my
summary.

	Best
	Bingfu