morphemes that mean 'round'

bingfu bingfu at USC.EDU
Fri Jul 31 22:07:43 UTC 1998

Hi, all,
	I found in Chinese all (as far as I am aware) morphems that are
related to the shape 'round' contain round vowels /u/, /o/ or /y/.
For example,
the adjective 'round' is /yan/, 'circle' is /qyan/, the noun 'ball' is
/qiou/, the verb 'roll up' is /tsyan/...etc.

I would know how the case is in other languages.
If responses are enough, I will make a summary.

	Bingfu Lu

More information about the Lingtyp mailing list