query: left-right asymmetry in order variation

tsunoda at TOOYOO.L.U-TOKYO.AC.JP tsunoda at TOOYOO.L.U-TOKYO.AC.JP
Fri Mar 6 02:07:01 UTC 1998

Dear Bingfu,
   I have noticed another instance of asymmetry which may be
relevant to your research. This concerns preposition vs
postposition.

   I have found preposition stranding in a fair number of languages,
but I do not know of any clear instance of postposition stranding.

   Also, I am not sure if this is relevant, but I co-authored
the following paper on adpositions.
   Tsunoda, Tasaku; Yoshiaki Itoh; and Sumie Ueda. 1955.
   "Adpositions in word order typology". Linguistics, Vol.33,
   No.4:741-61.

Best wishes,

Tasaku Tsunoda
Faculty of Letters,