Hungarian

Paul J Hopper ph1u+ at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Fri Nov 6 02:11:43 UTC 1998

To Jim McCawley's interesting observation on markedness in singular and
plural is the following, which I always notice when I'm in England. In
British English compounds often (sometimes?) have the plural where
American English has the singular/generic: BrE "arrested on a drugs
charge"/AmE "arrested on a drug charge". (I seem to remember reading an
article on this quite recently.)

Paul

Excerpts from mail: 5-Nov-98 Re: Hungarian by "James D. McCawley"@MIDW