forthcoming (or indeed almost forthcome) workshop

Frans Plank Frans.Plank at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Wed Oct 7 08:39:13 UTC 1998

Universitaet Koeln
Institut fuer Sprachwissenschaft
9-11 Oct 98
further particulars:
Hj.Sasse at Uni-Koeln.de
nick_evans at Uni-Koeln.de

Dear participants of the workshop "Problems of Polysynthesis",

Plans for our workshop are taking shape. Please find below a preliminary
list of participants and working titles of papers. The beginning of the
workshop is now planned for Oct. 9, 2 p.m., and we will probably close
on Sunday around noon (or a little later). There will be four sessions:
(1) "Lexicology and Lexicography of Polysynthetic Languages"
(2) "Event Compositionality"
(3) "Argument Properties"
(4) "Diachrony and Typology of Polysynthetic Languages"

The numbers in parentheses after the titles of the papers in the list
below indicate tentative assignment to the sections.

TITLES:
Those of you who have not yet specified a (working) title for their
contribution are requested to let us know their title within the next
week.

ABSTRACTS:
It wood be good for us to have a short abstract of your paper by July
31.

Note that I will be doing fieldwork in Canada during August, September,
and early October; so any correspondence concerning the workshop should
better be send to Nick Evans from early August on.

List of Participants and Titles of Papers

WILFRIED BOEDER
A Slot Filling Constraint in the Georgian Verb and Its Syntactic
Corollary (3)

UNA CANGER
Problems in Nahuatl Lexicology (1)

WERNER DROSSARD
Polysynthesis in Ket (2)

NICHOLAS EVANS
Non-referentiality in Mayali Bound Arguments (3)

MICHAEL FORTESCUE
Lexicalization an Productivity in West Greenlandic (1)
and/or
The Rise and Fall of Polysynthesis in the Eskimo-Aleut Family (4)

DAGMAR JUNG
(Apachean; Title and affiliation to be clarified)

MICHAEL LAUNEY
(Classical Nahuatl; Tile and affiliation to be clarified)

WILLIAM MCGREGOR
Diathesis Alternations in Nyulnyul (and other Nyulnyulan Languages) (3)

JOHANNA MATTISSEN
Polysynthesis in Nivkh (4)

ELKE NOWAK
Grammaticographical Traditions of Inuit Languages in the Eastern Arctis
(4)

DAVID ROOD
(Title and affiliation to be clarified)

HANS-JUERGEN SASSE
Lexicological and Lexicographic Problems of Word Families in Cayuga (1)

EVA SCHULTZE-BERNDT
The Unbearable Lightness of DOing: What a language with overt predicate
decomposition can tell us about the limitations of primitive predicates
(2)

VEERLE VAN GEENHOVEN ?
(Eskimo; Title and affiliation to be clarified)

STEPHEN WILSON
Event compositionality in Wagiman (2)

ROBERTO ZAVALA
Conflation vs. Incorporation of Arguments in Olutec (Mixean) (3)