Jim McCawley

Frans Plank Frans.Plank at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Tue Apr 13 18:53:12 UTC 1999

Some of you may remember Jim McCawley from the Inaugural Meeting of ALT, at
Vitoria-Gasteiz in the Basque Country.  It was a great honour, pleasure,
and intellectual asset to have him around as ALT was getting going.  The
range and depth, the wit and enthusiasm of his impromptu comments were
rarely equalled by the talks that he would comment on.  And it was not that
these talks (or later the papers that he helped review for LT) were all
fatally flawed:  it was that Jim McCawley was in a class of his own, as a
scholar and otherwise.

It would have been so good to have him around a little longer.

Frans Plank