agreement conflict? (fwd)

Edith A Moravcsik edith at CSD.UWM.EDU
Tue Jan 19 16:43:26 UTC 1999

			 Edith A. Moravcsik
			 Department of Foreign Languages and Linguistics
			 University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
		         Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413
                         USA

			 E-mail: edith at uwm.edu
		         Telephone: (414) 229-6794 /office/
				    (414) 332-0141 /home/
		         Fax: (414) 229-2741

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:45:57 +0100
From: Marcel Erdal <erdal at em.uni-frankfurt.de>
To: Edith A Moravcsik <edith at CSD.UWM.EDU>
Subject: Re: agreement conflict?

Dear Edith,
Turkish IS able to do all this, with the 1st or 2nd person possessive suffix
cancelling the 3rd person if there is a conflict; two genitives are
prohibited, though, one of the two (the non-pronominal one) appearing in the
stem form. This may not be FULLY satisfactory in all cases, since the
syntactic relationship between this non-genitive posessor and the possessum is
not explicit, and ambiguous instances MAY occur occasionally.
With sincere regards,
Marcel Erdal

--
Prof. Dr. Marcel Erdal