verb agreement in definiteness (fwd)

Gideon Goldenberg msgidgol at MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL
Sun Nov 21 03:17:51 UTC 1999

The sentences here quoted are not Abkhaz but Amharic.
They represent the rather common construction with
proleptic object suffixes. Since a suffixed object
pronoun is necessarily definite (as independent
pronouns also usually are), the corresponding nominal
object should consequently be definite. It could be
said that a pronominal representative of the object
is incorporated in the verb-complex. "wässädäw" means
literally "he took it (or: him)", which makes anyway
a complete sentence by itself. On the occasion that
"agreement in definiteness" is so thoroughly discussed,
is it not time to reconsider seriously the appositive
nature of agreement in general?

Gideon  Goldenberg
48  Ben-Maimon Ave.
IL-92261 Jerusalem