reflexives in subject position

Balthasar Bickel bickel at UCLINK.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Feb 15 18:15:20 UTC 2000

Dan Everett wrote:
> One question: does ERGative case in this language have any other
> functions, e.g. instrumental, locative, etc?

Yes, it also covers instrumental and cause functions. However, ergative
-le alternates with the nominative in non-past and non-perfective
contexts, while in other functions, -le shows no tense/aspect-driven
alternation. In the construction I quoted ("aaphaile Raamlaaii barbaad
garyo"), -le has an ergative function. As such, it alternates with the nominative:

aaphu    Raam-laaii barbaad  gar-cha
REFL:NOM R.-DAT     spoiling do-3SG.PT
'Ram will get himself spoiled.'

--- Balthasar Bickel.