portmanteau pronouns

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Tue Sep 12 14:14:44 UTC 2000

Dear David,

I do not want to intervene in your query, but I have the impression that
condition (1) - free pronouns - is perhaps too strong. What about those
languages that show polypersonal head marking (2-AGR, PI-PI  (PI =
personal inflection) type) with distinct morphemes for agentive /
objective (or what ever label you want to use)? I do not really see the
functional difference between the non-fused Tagalog type you have quoted
and say the Dakota type (ma-ya-khte 'you kill me', but chi-khte 'I kill
you' instead of *ni-wa-kte). Both seem to serve to encode some kind of
'social deixis' that obscures [backgrounds] the role of 1sg:A with
2sg:Os (2<1 hierarchy) [a strategy that is related to iconic arrangments
in AGR-ordering (e.g. Bella Coola 2>1 has OA (-m-cw), 1>2 has AO
(tsi-nu) - obviously, the final position carries the pragmatic 'peak')
and to other kinds of backgrounding 1sg:A e.g. via passivization
(Lummi)].

> My query is a simple factual one:  is anybody familiar with similar
> portmanteau pronouns from other languages?
>
> By "similar", I mean examples satisfying the following criteria:
>
> (1) free pronominal form;

Wolfgang
--
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schulze