associative plurals

Edith A Moravcsik edith at CSD.UWM.EDU
Tue Aug 14 18:50:44 UTC 2001

Mikhail Daniel and I are working on a paper on the world-wide
distribution of associative plurals, forming part of the World Atlas for
Language Structures project now under preparation. Out of the 200
languages in our sample, there are many for which we have been able to
ascertain either the presence or the absence of this construction; but
there are also many for which we have not found relevant information.
These are languages for which grammars do not mention associative plurals
and we do not have  informants available to find out whether this is an
accidental omission or whether the language does not in fact have the
construction.

This message is to ask whether you are familiar with any of the languages
listed below to the extent that you could tell us whether there is an
associative plural construction in them or not. We will much appreciate
your help.

The associative plural construction consists of a noun N - usually a
proper name or a kinship term - and a marker (often the same as the
regular plural marker of the language). The meaning is 'N and his
family (or friends; or associates)'. An example is Japanese:

   Tanaka-tachi 'Tanaka and his friends'

The information that we would need is this:

   (a) Does language L have associative plurals or not?
   (b) If it does,
       - could you give us one or two examples?
       - can you describe the composition and/or additional use of
         the associative marker? In particular, is it or is it
         not identical to the regular plural marker of the language?

Here are the languages that we are primarily interested in:

   - Acoma
   - Bagirmi
   - Barasano
   - Burushaski
   - Canela-Kraho
   - Copainale Zoque
   - Cree
   - Daga
   - Egyptian Arabic
   - Grebo
   - Guarani
   - Harar Oromo
   - Hmong Njua
   - Imonda
   - Jacaltec
   - Kewa
   - Kiowa
   - Koasati
   - Mangarayi
   - Mapuche
   - Maricopa
   - Maung
   - Maybrat
   - Otomi
   - Paiwan
   - Rama
   - Sanuma
   - Supyire
   - Tamazight (Ayt Nghir dialect)
   - Tiwi
   - Tukang Besi
   - Warao
   - Wari
   - Apiboni
   - Awa Pit
   - Aymara
   - Bawm
   - Beja
   - Bribri
   - Cahuilla
   - Cambodian
   - Carib
   - Cayuvava
   - Coast Tshimshian
   - Dehu
   - Diola-Fogny
   - Dongolese Nubian
   - Ekagi
   - Epena Pedee
   - Fur
   - Haida
   - Hanis Coos
   - Hunzib
   - Igbo
   - Ika
   - Iraqw
   - Kapau
   - Karo Batak
   - Kawesqar
   - Ket
   - Khasi
   - Khmu
   - Kilivila
   - Koromfe
   - Kunama
   - Ladakhi
   - Latvian
   - Lealao Chinantec
   - Maba
   - Maranungku
   - Mundari
   - Murle
   - Ndyuka
   - Nenets
   - Ngiti
   - Nkore-Kiga
   - Paamase
   - Passamaquoddy
   - Pitjantjatjara
   - Selknam (Ona)
   - Semelai
   - Sentani
   - Shipibo-Konibo
   - Southeastern Pomo
   - Squamish
   - Suena
   - Taba
   - Tetelcingo Naguatl
   - Tlingit
   - Trumai
   - Tunica
   - Una
   - Ungarinjin
   - Usan
   - Wambaya
   - Witoto
   - Yimas
   - Yuchi
   - Yurok
   - !Xu (Ju/'hoan)

Thank you for your attention.

Mikhail Daniel (daniel at qub.com)
Edith Moravcsik (edith at uwm.edu)
			 Edith A. Moravcsik
			 Department of Foreign Languages and Linguistics
			 University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
		         Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413
                         USA

			 E-mail: edith at uwm.edu