Posting from Martin Haase

Gontzal Aldai aldai at USC.EDU
Sat Aug 25 01:25:31 UTC 2001

Dear all:
I just wanted to point out that the -o- inclusive plural forms of
Basque are more common in Biscayan than in other dialects. Thus, the
acceptability of these forms that Martin mentions will depend on the
informants' dialect.

Biscayan uses also the proximal in singular local cases, as Martin
mentions:
Biscayan: berton = right here
	  bertan = right there
Other dialects: bertan = right here / (there?)

In proximate plural forms the hearer can smetimes be included. If I'm not
wrong, some varieties of Biscayan use not only
GU GAZTEOK = we the young ones
but also
ZUOK GAZTEOK = you-guys the young ones
But I wanted to raise another question:
Is this Basque proximal (or inclusive-plural) an exampe of what Edith was
looking for?

I thought she was rather looking for things like:
Peru-ta = Peter and his friends, his family, etc.
Literally: Peter-and