ordinal interrogative pronouns

trhato at UTA.FI trhato at UTA.FI
Mon Feb 12 09:37:44 UTC 2001

Hartmut is right:
hur mång-te 'how many-th' is colloquial Finland Swedish;

the correct citation, from Finnish, is:

Mone-s-ko		päivä	tänään	on?
many-ORDINAL-INTERR	day	today	is
'den wievielten Tag haben wir heute'

which in standard Swedish would be, eg.:

"vad	är	det	för	datum	idag?"
'what	is	it	Prep	date	today'

Among the Finno-Ugric languages an ordinal interrogative can easily be
exemplified from, at least, Finnish, Estonian and Hungarian:

FINNISH
kolme '3'
> kolma-s, kolma-nne-n GEN, kolma-tta PRTV, kolma-nte-na ESS 'third'

mon-i, mon-e-n GEN, mon-ta PRTV, mon-e-na ESS 'many'
> mone-s, mone-nne-n GEN, mone-t-ta PRTV, mone-nte-na ESS 'many-th'

mon-et-ta-ko			kerta-a		ole-t	täällä?
many-ORDINAL-PRTV-INTERR	time-PRTV	be-2SG	here

There is also an analytic way of asking, similar to the German one:
Kuinka	mon-et-ta	kertaa          olet    täällä?
how	many-ORD-PRTV	time-PRTV	be-2SG	here

'Which time in order is this time you are here?'

Thus, there isn't really any interrogative ordinal pronoun, but rather the
interrogative enclitic -kO can render any sequence a question:
mones 'vielte' > monesko? 'wievielte?',
niin 'so' > niinkö? 'so?'; minä 'I' > minäkö? 'I?'

ESTONIAN
seitse '7' à seitsmes 'seventh'
seitsmendal novembril 'on Nov the 7th'

mis NOM, mida PRTV 'what'; mitu '(how) many'
> mit-mes '(how) many-th'
mitmendal kuupäeval? 'on which day of the month?'

HUNGARIAN
ha´rom '3' > harma-dik 'third'
ha´ny 'how many/much' > ha´nya-dik 'how_many-th'
	ha´nyadika? 'which day (of the month)?'
	ha´nyadika van ma? 'the how_manieth is today?'
	ha´nyadika´n? 'on the how_manieth (day)?'

Also in Lithuanian:

penki`/pen~kios '5' > pen~k-tas 'fifth'
keli/kelios 'how many'
kelin-tas	'wievielte'
kelintasa valanda? 'wie spät ist es?

By the way, the Slavonic interrogative, like Russ. _kotoryj_ mentioned by Elena
Maslova, had orginally the meaning 'which of two', as still in Lithuanian
_katràs_ (similarly, Finn. _kumpi_).

Best,
Hannu Tommola