ordinal pronoun forms

Edith A Moravcsik edith at CSD.UWM.EDU
Thu Feb 15 13:56:35 UTC 2001

D.N.S. Bhat noted that Kannada has ordinal demonstratives and
ordinal demonstratives. In addition to ordinal interrogatives,
Hungarian also has the following:

   - ordinal indefinites:

     vala-ha'ny-adik        'some numerical position in a series'
     INDEF-how:many-ORD

     aka'r-ha'ny-adik       'whichever numerical position in a series'
     whichever-how:many-ORD

   - ordinal relative pronoun:

     a-ha'ny-adik           'which numerical position in a series'
     that-how:many-ORD

     (as in 'WHICH NUMERICAL POSITION IN A SERIES you were in, that is
             what I was in.'

   - ordinal demonstrative:

     annyi-adik             'that numerical position in a series'
     that:many-ORD

     (as in 'Which numerical position in a series you were in, THAT IS
             WHAT I was in.'

   - negative ordinal:

     se-ha'ny-adik          'having no numerical position in a series'
     NEG-how:many-ORD

    (as in the dialogue:
        A: 'Which numerical position were you in?'
        B: 'I was in NO NUMERICAL POSITION since I did not run in the race
           at all.')

Edith
			 Edith A. Moravcsik
			 Department of Foreign Languages and Linguistics
			 University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
		         Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413
                         USA

			 E-mail: edith at uwm.edu