Minimal vs. augmented inclusive cohortative - specification

Michael Daniel daniel at QUB.COM
Tue Nov 27 14:32:02 UTC 2001

Dear David, dear all,

this is in response to David's comment.

 By saying

> Davaj-te    spoj-em
> PART-2PL    sing-1PL
> Let's sing! [thou and me and one or more person more]

I actually meant that these 'one or more person more' may consist of or
include multiple addressees. Actually, in the case of Russian, the
construction:
Davaj-te    spoj-em
is also preferred for (if not limited to) a group comprising the speaker and
multiple addressees. So, Hebrew construction is a complete analogue of the
Russian construction.

To make my point clearer - I am interested in all languages which make a
distinction between cohortatives towards
[speaker and addressee] alone and towards any larger group which consists of
[speaker and multiple addressees] or [speaker and addressee and
non-locutors] or [speaker and multiple addressees and non-locutor(s)] - the
essential is that the number of persons referred to is more than two.

Of course, taking into account the point that David brought into discussion,
any additonal info would be useful if the language differentiate between
these different kinds of 'more than two people' cohortatives.