"Our language"

Daniel Everett dan.everett at MAN.AC.UK
Mon Dec 16 11:18:17 UTC 2002

On Monday, December 16, 2002, at 11:21  am, Jan Terje Faarlund wrote:

>  For their language, they simply use the word 'ode' (=language), and
> they refer to themselves as 'ode püt' (=language people), or
> 'chabyajpabü ode' (= those who speak the language). This latter term
> may also be used to refer to indigenous people in general.
>
> Jan Terje Faarlund

The last line is interesting.  I would bet that the extension of this
term is one of the consequences of redefining identity, the matter of
'becoming Indian', forced upon many indigenous peoples since the
'conquest'.  I often find, in such cases, that in texts and some other
very specific environments that terms like this have two references: a
very specific one to the people in question and a wider one including
other indigenous people when contrasted (implicitly or explicitly) with
'whites' or 'civilizados', etc. Is this correct with the Zoque?

Dan

********************
Dan Everett
Professor of Phonetics and Phonology