Arbic copula

W. Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Sun Feb 3 11:47:20 UTC 2002

Dear Peter,

I do not dare to declare that the grammaticalization of personal pronouns
as copulae is a very common type, however, I came across the same e.g. in
Udi (South East Caucasian): Here we have:

e%le%m-ux kala-ne
donkey-PL big-cop:3sg
'the donkeys are big'

The citic -ne stems from the deictic paradigm also used for anaphers (<
*adnominal deixis-no). For the speech act participants, personal pronouns
(in parts modified) are used, e.g.

[zu] kala-zu
[I] big-1sg
'I am big'

[un] kala-n[u]
[you:sg] big-2sg

[yan] kala-yan
[we] big-1pl

[va%n] kala-nan
[you:pl] big-2pl

Something the like holds (according to what I know) e.g. for many Turkic
and Iranian languages. Tell me in case you need those data, I will send
them directly to you...

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

--
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang M. Schulze
IATS - Institute for General Linguistics and Language Typology
Email:  W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Web:  http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~wschulze/ats_eng.html