headless possessives

Nina Dobrushina or Michael Daniel daniel at QUB.COM
Wed Sep 25 22:39:47 UTC 2002

Dear all,
I am interested in
(a) the languages where a headless possessive of a nominal stem with
human reference designates his relative[s]
b) the languages which use a (historically) headless possessive form to
convey associative plural meaning ( i.e. 'X and his family/associates').

(a)
For example, in colloquial Russian a possessive without a head and
without a strong ellipsis context (as in 2) designates relative(s) of
the referent of the stem, as in 1. I know something similar also happens
in Romance with plural headless possessives of personal pronouns (cf.
Italian 'i miei').
1. no ellipsis
Pet'k-in-a                             opjat'     nakrasilas'
Peter-POSS-NOM.FEM     again     she.paint.herself
'Peter's wife/daughter/grand.daughter made up her face again'
2. ellipsis
Moja  ruchka pishet,       a
Pet'k-in-a                             konchilas'
my     pen      he.writes   while   Pet'ka-POSS-NOM.FEM
she.finish.refl
'My    pen      writes, while   that of Pet'ka is out of ink'

(b)
As to expressing associative plural meaning by a (historically) headless
possessive, I know of the following languages which do it:
Polish, Bulgarian, Georgian, Tsez, Sonora Yaqui, Kati (Indo-Aryan),
Hungarian.
cf. Bulgarian
Mari-in-i
Mary-POSS-PL
'Mary and her relatives'
(In some cases connection to the possessive is disputable, as for
Hungarian or Polish.)

thanks a lot,

Michael Daniel